Regardless of what exactly you wish to make available via the Internet, publicly and free of charge––scholarly or scientific articles, research data, digital art works or cultural objects, teaching or learning materials––the Open Access Working Group will be happy to provide you with information and support.
No matter whether you wish to publish a monograph or an article Open Access, found a journal or publication series, or plan to “flip” a traditional periodical from print to Open Access, we would like to offer you our services. For this purpose, we will have to address the following issues:
- What are the advantages (or even potential disadvantages) of Open Access publications?
- What is the difference between OA and conventional publishing?
- How can I actually publish Open Access?
- How do I find trustworthy and reliable Open Access journals and/or repositories?
- Who will pay any costs incurred, such as Article Processing Charges (APCs) or Book Processing Charges (BPCs)?
- What do I need to be careful of in case of secondary publication and depositing of an article etc. into a repository (Green Open Access)?
- What funding and other services are available in this field?
]a[repository––the institutional repository of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
]a[repository offers all Academy staff members and students the opportunity of electronically publishing their work––not only theses, monographs, and journal articles, but also images, videos, audios or 3D objects––in order to make their artistic and scholarly achievements better visible, and for the authors to be able to communicate their work more easily.
Advantages of publishing via ]a[repository:
- It is fast and free of charge.
- Digital objects are freely accessible via the Internet.
- To ensure that publications or works can be found more easily, they are not only recorded by search engines, but they can also be augmented with a variety of metadata (such as key words, abstracts, descriptions and classifications).
- The optional allocation of persistent identifiers permanently enables referencing (citation) of the digital objects.
- The authors retain the right to publish their work on other platforms or repositories.
- The optional allocation of Creative Commons Licenses enables a simpler re-use of the digital objects.
- In view of technical, formal and content-related quality assurance, all objects are checked both automatically and individually.
Open Journal Systems––Publishing Open Access Journals and/or Publication Series
For issuing their own Open Access journals or series, the Academy provides its staff members and students with the publication management software Open Journal Systems (OJS)––an open-source software operated on the servers of the Academy’s IT Services (ZID).
- OJS supports every single step involved in publishing journals and publication series: from submission and review to publication and subsequent dissemination (e.g. indexing of metadata etc.), whereas the publisher can choose between using the editorial and/or only the publication module.
- After registering, users can choose from a variety of roles (such as editor, reviewer, author or reader) allocated by the journal managers. Depending on this role, several options are provided for the users to fulfil the tasks given (e.g. for authors, submitting an article; or for the journal managers, drafting various templates).
- Additionally, publishers and editors have the option of adjusting components such as the structure of their journal (e.g. in rubrics), the exact submission and reviewing processes or the user interface and layout to their individual needs with relatively little effort.
- With OJS, contributions etc. can be published either issue- or article-based.
- Using various plug-ins, published contents can be directly added to international databases and similar referencing systems and thus be made more conspicuous.
- Editors can choose from a variety of tools for the representation of their article.
- Readers can make use of email notification and comment functions.
- Extensive online assistance is provided.