The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna has appointed Dorit Margreiter professor for video and video installation and Hans Scheirl professor at the Contextual Painting Department at its Institute of Fine Arts for four years, the appointments being effective from the winter term of 2006/07; Hans Scheirl will succeed Elke Krystufek. After having prematurely renounced his professorship at the Universität der Künste Berlin, Daniel Richter accepted the chair offered to him in Vienna and, succeeding Franz Graf, will be responsible for the Extended Artistic Environment Department. At the Drawing and Graphic Techniques Department, Otto Zitko will stand in for Gunter Damisch who has asked for a one-semester leave.
At the Institute for Secondary Teaching Degrees, Marion von Osten, succeeding Herwig Zens, has been appointed professor at the Education and Science of Art Department for six years and the cultural theorist Elke Gaugele, succeeding Eveline Bischof, at the Textile Arts and Crafts Department for two years. Martin Beck's professorship for Craft, Design and Architecture Education has been renewed for another six years.
At the Institute of Art Theory and Cultural Studies, Diedrich Diederichsen and Tom Holert, sharing the post, will succeed Ute Meta Bauer as professors at the Theory, Practice, and Transfer of Contemporary Art Department for some time. In two years, applications for the professorship will be invited again.
Since the appeal proceedings concerning Rüdiger Lainer's succession for the Architectural Design Department with its focus on urbanism at the Institute of Art and Architecture have been delayed, Kathryn Findlay together with Lawrence Friesen (winter term 2006/07) and Hosoya Schaefer Architects (summer term 2007) will be responsible for the studio for one semester each on an interim basis.
The Academy of Fine Arts succeeded in winning Josephine Pryde, London, and Gregg Bordowitz, New York, as visiting professors strengthening the new team of professors at the Institute of Fine Arts and the Institute of Art Theory and Cultural Studies respectively.
- Craft, Design and Architecture Education - Martin Beck, *1963, AUT/USA
- Architectural Design - Kathryn Findlay, *1953, GBR/JAP
- Architectural Design - Lawrence Friesen, GBR
- Architectural Design - Hosoya Schaefer Architects, SUI
- Textile Arts and Crafts - Elke Karoline Gaugele, *1964, GER
- Practice and Transfer of Contemporary Art - Tom Holert, *1962, GER
- Practice and Transfer of Contemporary Art - Diederich Diederichsen, *1957, GER
- Video and Videoinstallation - Dorit Margreiter, *1967, AUT/USA
- Education and Science of Art - Marion von Osten, *1963, GER/SUI
- Expanded Artistic Environment - Daniel Richter, *1962, GER
- Representational Painting/Drawing - Hans Scheirl, *1956, AUT
- Drawing and Graphic Techniques - Otto Zitko, *1959, AUT
- Gregg Bordowitz, *1964, USA
- Josephine Pryde, *1967, GBR