General Information on Eligibility
- Applicants must be registered as regular students at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.
- Exchange to Erasmus partner universities is possible for individual courses or for preparation for the diploma exam.
- If approved, applicants are entitled to the Erasmus grant, which is a contribution of between € 262 and € 368 (depending on the cost of living in the host country).
- The minimum duration of the exchange is three months, the maximum duration is one academic year. Please note that only exchanges that start in the winter semester can be extended to the summer semester.
Application Period for the Academic Year 2017/2018:
Monday, January 9th to Friday, March 3, 2017
Exchanges that start in the winter semester can be extended to the summer semester if all parties agree.
Application period for any remaining Erasmus places for the summer semester 2017 (Restplätze): Monday, September 26 to Friday, October 7, 2016
Remaining Erasmus places for the summer semester 2017
Application forms for Erasmus+ student exchange:
- curriculum vitae
- letter of motivation
- enrolment certificate/confirmation of registration
- Submit to the International Office within the application period: nomination form, portfolio, résumé/CV and letter of motivation.
- The departmental coordinators will select the applicants for the respective partner universities.
- The portfolios have to be sent to the partner universities.
- Partner universities either approve or reject the applications.
- In case your application is approved by one of the partner institutions, other Erasmus forms are required; please pick them up at the International Office.
Selection criteria for Erasmus applications to a partner university of the Academy specified by the departmental coordinators for international exchanges:
- Eligibility according to the guidelines regarding Erasmus mobility (of the EU Lifelong Learning Programme of the European Commission, version authored by OEAD Inc., National Agency for Lifelong Learning, valid in the current contract year, www.oead.ac.at)
- Artistic quality and expertise (portfolio)
- Application forms completed and submitted within the application period
- The number of completed study semesters will be taken into account.
- Applications are only possible for students who have not been on a prior Erasmus study exchange
- The Erasmus+ student exchange is possible at a maximum time span of 12 months for BA, MA and doctoral studies and for a maximum time span of 24 months for Diploma studies. Former Erasmus exchanges, even in a different study program or at a different university have to be considered. The Erasmus exchange is only possible with Erasmus partner universities of the Academy.
- When students start their stay abroad, they must at least be enrolled in the third semester of the study program relevant for their Erasmus exchange, or they have completed the first year of their basic studies. This means that when their exchange starts, students must have successfully acquired at least 60 ECTS credits.
- Erasmus exchange applicants must be registered as regular students of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.
Please also note:
- On principle, students can be sent to their country of origin but these will be given lowest priority in the selection process.
- Mobility to the country of origin is not possible for students who are still residents of their country of origin and who are still living there and commuting to an Austrian University, or
- if the exchange takes place near a student's home town (e. g., in the case of Germany, a short distance to the student’s province of origin).
The final approval for an exchange place will be issued by the respective partner university.
Erasmus+ exchange students are obliged to participate in an online linguistic assessment (OLS) before and after the mobility. Students with a level of language competence under B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) in the main language of instruction are automatically invited to an online language course. The payment of the final instalment of the Erasmus financial support is subject to the submission of the compulsory online assessment at the end of the mobility.
Preperatory language courses for an Erasmus+ mobilty can be funded by the International Office. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com bevor your course starts with the information of the price of the course. Costs can be refunded after submission of a certificate of participation and a bill (in German or in English).
You are obliged to have sufficient health and accident insurance coverage for the entire length of your stay abroad. Contact your health insurance for information about insurance coverage during stays in other countries. It is also advisable to obtain information about the coverage of the insurance by the students’ union fee (www.oeh.at).
Financial Support for Students
Applications for study-abroad grants awarded by the Austrian Study Grant Authority within an Erasmus application process should be submitted to:
Gudrunstraße 179a, 1100 Wien
P +43 1 601 73-0
F +43 1 601 73-240