For your studies at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna the required language competence depend on whether you come to the Academy as an exchange student or as a regular student for a whole study program.
1. If you wish to come to Austria as an exchange student (e.g. ERASMUS) for a semester or for a year of study at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, or work on project-related artwork or research, you need not necessarily be able to speak German.Nonetheless we recommend acquiring basic knowledge of the German language for your study visit as well as for daily life in Austria. Therefore we recommend taking advantage of our offer of German-language courses.
We offer a range of courses in English; moreover, many of our teachers are prepared to assist students in English. Yet, please be make sure that you determine in advance whether your study program offers a sufficient number of courses in English.
2. If you wish to complete a study program at the Academy, please be aware of the language requirements of the different study programs. The list below refers to the respective levels of the Common European Reference Scale for Languages.
|Diploma program in Fine Arts||German language competency B1 before registering for the third semester|
|Diploma program in Scenography||German language competency B2 before registering for the third semester|
Diploma program in
|German language competency B2 before admission|
|BA in Architecture||German and English language competency B2 before admission|
|MA in Architecture||German and English language competency B2 before admission|
|BA in Education in the Arts||German language competency B2 before admission|
|MA in Education in the Arts||German language competency B2 before admission|
|Master in Critical Studies||German and English language competency B2 before admission|
|PhD in Practice||English language competency B2 during the admission exam|
The doctoral programs Doctor of Philosophy/PhD, Doctor of technical Sciences as well as the Doctor of Science are in principle taught in German. Nevertheless it is possible to write academic papers in a foreign language, if the supervisor agrees. Therefore, the language competence required to complete a doctoral program have to be defined in accordance with the supervisor before registering for the study program.
German language proficiency may be demonstrated by the following certificates:
- German as a subject in your secondary school leaving exam
- German language courses at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
- Österreichisches Sprachdiplom - B 2 Mittelstufe Deutsch (MD)
- Goethe Institut - Goethe Zertifikat B 2
- Innovationszentrum Universität Wien GmbH- Mittelstufe 3
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH II)
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz Stufe II (DSD II)
- Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (Test DaF), at least level 4 in all parts