Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien
Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien

To the exhibitions

Timeby Raqs

Thicket of Ideas
Thicket of Times

Skip to content. Skip to navigation.

Depending on the citizenship and length of stay, different regulations for visas and residence permits apply to international students in Austria.

Important information due to COVID:

Please keep yourself updated before travelling about the current travel regulations valid four your home country at the Austrian representative authority: Embassies and Consulates.

Current information on visa applications in Vienna is available on the website of the competent authority: MA35 immigration office (in German only).

Exchange students:

Those students who come to Austria for a semester or for a year in the context of an Erasmus program or a bilateral agreement between the Academy of Fine Arts and another university, please refer to the International Office.

International students who wish to complete a study program at the Academy:

The following documents include detailed information on visas and residence permits, organised according to the phase of the admission process:

1. What to do after you have received the invitation for an oral admission exam.

2. What to do after successfully passing the admission exam.

The Student Welcome Center offers information and support in all questions regarding visas and residence permits for international students: studentwelcome@akbild.ac.at.

Mandatory residence registration:

All persons who reside in Austria are required to register with the authorities. This means that you have to register at your local district within three days after you have moved into a residence. More details are available from the Austrian Agency for International Mobility and Cooperation.


An overview of the legal regulations regarding visas and residence permits can be found on the pages of the Austrian Agency for International Mobility and Cooperation.


Residence permits for students are given only for limited stays in Austria. The request for an extension of the permit must be made before the expiration date of the residence permit (at the earliest three months beforehand).