Academic Writing in English: what you need to know to get ahead in academia
Workshop on Exposé Writing in English for doctoral/PhD students
The goal of this two-day workshop is to help you to be better be able to write an exposé / proposal and a dissertation in English. We will start by looking at the structure and style of academic writing in general and then move on to how to write an abstract, a good introduction to a paper and a proposal. Note that it is not a grammar course in English!
By the end of the workshop you will have the skills necessary to apply to any academic written task. It will be a practical and hands-on course.
I have been involved in the teaching of English in one capacity or another for over 25 years and have worked with professionals in companies and at the UN as well as undergraduates, Masters students and PhD students at the tertiary level. My focus for the past 10 years has been on Academic Writing Skills – giving practical tips and advice on how to successfully write a thesis or dissertation in English.
I am Canadian and have worked extensively in Asia, the Middle East and Europe. I have worked in Austria for the past 10 years and divide my time between several universities and the UN.
The workshop will be in English.
Registration / Conditions of Participation
- The workshop is open to regular doctoral students of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna and of the Arts University Linz.
- For a participation in the workshop, please register with until November 2nd, 2017 and attach a scan of your current “Studienblatt” (i.e. certification of enrollment). t
- The workshop is limited to 20 participants (first come, first serve).
- Please bring a synopsis of your PhD (one or two pages) to the workshop – to be used during the workshop.
- If you have, please bring laptops to the workshop
Please direct your questions to the Center of Doctoral Studies, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
email@example.com 01 / 588 16 – 1115