FWF | Esprit
The ESPRIT Programme (Early Stage Programme: Research, Innovation and Training) is addressed to highly qualified postdocs from all disciplines at the beginning of their academic career who wish to carry out an independent research project at an Austrian research institute.
ESPRIT aims to foster the career development of researchers from all disciplines by carrying out an independent research project as principal investigator. The principal investigator will be supported in his/her skills and career development by a mentor.
The objectives of ESPRIT are
- to promote excellent, innovative research,
- to retain, attract, and win back outstanding researchers and thus strengthen Austrian research institutes,
- to support outstanding women researchers,
- to promote career and skills development (develop/establish own research profile based on an independent research project),
- to enhance career prospects (boost competitiveness through publications, collaborations, and increased visibility).
The FWF also places particular emphasis on the promotion of women.
- Doctoral degree awarded no more than five years prior to the time of application
- International scientific/scholarly publications
- Mentor who will assist the principal investigator in his/her professional and personal career development
36 months (cannot be extended)
Amount of funding
- Principal investigator’s salary
- Project-specific costs from €45,000 (flat rate) to €75,000 (upon request, if justifiable)
online via the FWF’s electronic application portal ( elane )
- Official application is submitted by the Austrian research institute (PROFI)
- No deadlines, on a rolling basis
- in English
Further information: https://www.fwf.ac.at/en/funding/portfolio/careers/esprit