Skip to main content

Studies Abroad Self-Organized

Students thinking of spending a year abroad independent of any mobility programme of the Academy will have to do their own organising.

Information on tuition fees, deadlines and application documents should be obtained directly from the respective university. All general information on studying in the desired host country can also be found via the host university or at the diplomatic representations of the host country in Austria (embassies, cultural institutes).

If you have any questions regarding the recognition of credits for courses taken abroad, please contact the chair of the relevant Curricula Commission at the Academy before starting your stay abroad. It might be necessary to obtain an advance notice ( Vorausbescheid ) to determine the equivalence of the courses the student has planned to attend at the host university with the courses in the relevant curriculum. The form is available at the International Office.

Partner universities outside Europe do not have our ECTS (European Credit Transfer System). Therefore, it is essential for you to obtain all the information on the courses you completed there:

  • Title and type of course (lecture; workshop, project, tutorial, …)
  • Number of credit hours per week and/or exact course times for the entire semester (timetable)
  • Content of the courses

Furthermore, you will have to do the following:

  • register/enrol at the Academy or apply for leave for the semester abroad
  • pay the Austrian National Union of Students fee: it comprises accident and liability insurance valid on the premises of the partner university and of the Academy

If they organise their artistic studies in third countries themselves, students can apply for a Foreign Exchange Scholarship for Students of Universities of the Arts (

Students receiving an Austrian study grant can apply to the Austrian Study Grant Authority ( for a special scholarship if they are going to a third country to study.