About the program
The Mentoring Program Art is aimed at graduates of all disciplines from the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna who wish to receive guidance through mentoring during the initial phase after their studies, to develop a professional artistic career. The program serves the purpose of promoting emerging artists at the Academy, as well as achieving gender equality in the art field.
The Mentoring Program Art operates at the intersection between academic studies and independent artistic practice. Within the framework of the one-year scholarship program, it supports the scholarship recipients in making their initial marks within the art scene. Apart from providing financial support and participation in practical workshops, a vital aspect of this Academy funding initiative is the transfer of individual knowledge and experience from mentors external to the university, who come from the art and culture sector. This provides participants with the opportunity to gain diverse insights into the art industry and practical knowledge. Starting in 2023, on a biennial basis, participants will also have the opportunity to participate in an exhibition at the Exhibit Gallery.
The program collaborates with the Association of Women Artists in Austria (VBKÖ). Since 2020, we have also been managing the Mentoring Program for Female Artists on behalf of the Federal Ministry for Arts, Culture, Public Service, and Sports (BMKÖS).
Participation in the program is possible through application. The call for applications is posted annually on the call platform at the conclusion of the summer semester. The selection process is two-tiered: an initial selection is made by the department heads, and the final selection, as well as the pairing of mentor-mentee tandems, is carried out by the advisory board.
Members of the Advisory Board
- Ingeborg Erhart, Vice-Rector for Art I Teaching, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
- Gerhard Jagersberger, Federal Ministry for Arts, Culture, the Civil Service and Sport (BMKÖS)
- Luisa Kasalicky, Institute for Fine Arts, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
- Bettina Leidl, Director MuseumsQuartier Wien
- Dorit Margreiter, Institute for Fine Arts, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna
- Stephanie Misa, Artist
- Olga Okunev, Federal Ministry for Arts, Culture, the Civil Service and Sport (BMKÖS)
- Denise Palmieri, Austrian Association of Women Artists (VBKÖ)
- Barbara Pflanzner, Coordinator Mentoring Program Art, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna